The headquarters of the C.R.D.O. Monterrei has hosted a wine tasting of Monterrei conducted by the Association of Sommeliers of Galicia Gallaecia.
The tasting team has been made up of a total of 12 tasters, among which were:
– Alberto Ruiz (Sommelier Restaurant Arbidel * Michelin)
– Juan A. Gómez (Sommelier of Zamora Sommeliers Association)
– Noah Chichester (WSET2 English Translator)
– Pedro T. Sestayo Riveiro (President Association of Sommeliers of Galicia Gallaecia)
– Javier Facal (Sommelier Group A Mundiña)
– Jacobo Domínguez (M&D.S.C.)
– Alejandro Paadín (Coauthor Galician Wine Guide)
– Xabier Barcala (Gallaecia sommelier)
– Natalia Cid (Vice President Association of Sommeliers of Galicia Gallaecia)
– Pablo Fernández Rodríguez (Sumiller)
– Santiago Castro (Technical Director of the D.O. Toro)
– Isidro Rodríguez (Partner of the Zamora Sommeliers Association)
This panel evaluated 53 wines of the denomination, 30 whites and 23 reds. At the end of the tasting, Natalia Cid, has made an assessment of the wines tasted by the team, stating that “this year in the wine tasting of Monterrei we have found a good vintage. In the white wines we have appreciated a marked speed in the harvest, giving them a more vegetable character in the wines, surely due to the climatic conditions. Therefore we have some wines with a lot of freshness, giving vegetable and floral notes. On the palate they reflect the soil very well, finding us with more mineral wines and balancing acidity and freshness”. Whereas “in reds we find a little more fruity wines, without leaving their minerality in the mouth and fresh complexity that makes them ideal wines, both to taste at this time and for a couple of years, because we see a very good evolution in wines from previous vintages”.
This tasting has served to evaluate the wines of the region to carry out the classification round of which the winners of the 2022 Gallaecia Distinctions will result, as well as to prepare the “Luis Paadín Guide of Vineyards, Distillates and Adegas of Galicia 2023”.